Monday, October 6, 2008

On the ""gay cowboy"" movie

It's appalling to see how Jakartans have reacted to the ""gay cowboy"" movie (and that phrase does not describe this film properly at all), to say the least. Jakarta being a metropolitan city with quite an advanced media, I was expecting Jakarta's community to be more open-minded to individuality and the existence of other and beliefs.

How wrong was I. Turns out some members of this community are quite superficial and merely imitate Hollywood hype. They hail a white-supremacist superiority of the rich and ""normality"" -- whatever that term might mean. Allow me to relate my recent experience at the movies. Almost eighty percent of the audience were antagonistic and their behavior resembled that of barbaric people with homophobia -- lashing out at the least intimacy on screen.

The peevish two behind me kept showing their horror by squealing ""Oh my godsh""s (it sounded exactly like that, it seemed an intended cross between Oh my God and Oh my gosh ... well, I've got news for you, honey, ""despicables"" might just pray to the same God(s) as you.) It's two guys in love, get over it. I am sure you knew what you were getting when you stood in the long line and paid for those tickets. If you didn't, then by all means, exit the theater and negotiate for a refund. It would be way better to see your silhouette on that screen briefly than hear your revolting, intolerable shrieks.

I request of you, do not waste good money just to have the most painful movie-watching time of you lives, you have phony charities to give money to pointlessly.

My advice to the above mentioned and their like is, if you want to see Ledger and scream your hearts out, watch The Ring. And Gyllenhaal fans, you can go and catch Jarhead. Bottom line, watching Brokeback Mountain in a public theater here is very irritating and will get on your nerves. I'm just glad Ang Lee isn't Indonesian; his home might be burned or vandalized, he might be scorned, or his family black-mailed and his citizenship removed, or he might get the RUUs upon him too, on the suspicion of having vulgar male-related thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment